Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Historic Cleveland

Gray's Armory in Cleveland opened its doors to the public this past weekend. Located on Prospect Avenue just south of the Theater District the building is quite a gem to Cleveland. This Cleveland landmark provides a glimpse into history. The structure was built just after the Civil War in 1893, although founded in 1837. Old uniforms, equipment, and photographs were displayed throughout the building, especially from the Civil War era. I am not a Civil War buff, I tend to gravitate to European History, but its still fascinating. I have seen this building from East 14th Street and always wanted to see inside.

The Romanesque Revival architecture is what makes this landmark interesting. I love looking at old architecture although I admit I don't know much about it...but slowly learning. I tend to like Gothic revival or the Tudor revival AND original Gothic and Tudor like the ones in Europe. I must say I am starting to sound like an old person. But I guess I am studying history, philosophy, and art in graduate school so that's probably it. I am also into lanterns and lamp posts now so that explains the one picture.





I am also like these kind of windows.



Here is the outside...









No comments: